Wednesday, August 15, 2018

My family tradition of service and how I'll continue it

My family has a tradition of service. Whether it's protecting or helping people, they've managed to be selfless and make commitments bigger than themselves. My dad was a U.S. Navy Officer and Diver who was commissioned from the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. My mom's older brother and my uncle enlisted after high school in the U.S. Navy as a Radio Man on Submarines and Destroyers and was a Corrections Officer at a Penitentiary in California. My dad's 2 uncles and my great uncles were in the U.S. Army I think as Infantrymen. My dad's uncle and my great uncle was a Bombardier in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War. My grandpa was a Firefighter for the Central Valley Fire Department in Central Valley, California. My 2nd cousin is both a Firefighter and an EMT for the Englishtown Fire Department in Englishtown, New Jersey. My mom's cousin's husband was a Firefighter for the New York City Fire Department. My 2nd cousin graduated from Roger Williams University School of Law in Bristol, Rhode Island and became a Lawyer. My 2nd cousin is at the Creighton University Medical School in Omaha, Nebraska getting her masters as a childhood cancer doctor and graduated from Loyola University in Chicago, Illinois and participated in their medical school. My 2nd cousin is currently interning in the Dietetic Internship Program at Stony Brook University in Stony Brook, New York after she graduated from the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. My 2nd cousin is a Lifeguard at Ocean Beach Surf Club in Toms River, New Jersey and still was a Lifeguard even at while he was continuing his education at Roger Williams University in Bristol, Rhode Island. How I'm going to continue my family's legacy of service is enlist with a medical waiver into the United States Marine Corps with an 03 Infantry Contract hopefully to become a Rifleman and see combat around the globe for 4 years. After that, I then will pursue a career as either a SWAT or K9 and NCHS School Resource Officer for the New Canaan Police Department. I currently continue the family tradition of service at New Canaan Fire Co. No. 1 as a Maintenance Guy and since my dad is Italian Catholic and my mom is Irish Catholic, I serve with the St. Aloysius Roman Catholic Church Youth Ministry in New Canaan, Connecticut and will continue to serve them when I'm back in town. I also hope to continue to serve my Varsity Football Team at New Canaan High School as a O-Line or D-Line Coach. Service has been a part of me and my family since I was born

No comments:

Post a Comment